Skip to main content

MATE 1.18 Released

Turns out just 24 hours after i posted about MATE 1.18 preparations, upstream developers have finally announced the final version of MATE 1.18. This release has reached an interesting milestone, which is to migrate all MATE components to GTK+3, leaving GTK+2 code base which is no longer updated and have many limitations. Along with this transition, many deprecated components are also being migrated to the new technologies.

Upstream developers have generously supported GTK+3-3.14.x, which is still used by RHEL and Slackware 14.2 as their minimum supported version of GTK+3. They do support all newer GTK+3, up to GTK+3-3.22.x. Since GTK+4 is still far away and it will be co-installable with previous GTK+3, upstream developers will have more time to fix many things with GTK+3 before starts struggling with new GTK+4 in the future.

MATE 1.18 have also started to provide support for libinput for mouse and touchpad. Since -current has included libinput, it will have better support on handling inputs in the next release. It has also replaced deprecated upower suspend/hibernate functions with ConsoleKit2 equivalents that is supported in Slackware and Gentoo. There are also reworked font-viewer in mate-control-center, lots of new filetype support in engrampa, and porting of Pluma and eom plugins to libpeas.

The biggest change goes to caja, the file manager. It is ported from libunique to GtkApplication, added copy queue and pausing feature, delete confirmation, directory navigation buttons, better notification with removeable drives, and many more.


Please note that there are still some theme-related and mate-panel glitches with GTK+3 and it's a known issues for some time. The developers are working on it day by day.

All the SlackBuilds source code has been pushed to github and gitlab. Website has been updated with MATE 1.18 screenshots, and binary packages have been uploaded to Slackware.uk for both Stable and Current (x86_64 only) release. It will be included in the next Slackware Live ISO by AlienBOB as well.

Enjoy MATE 1.18!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Running Rsync Via Proxy

One way to get the latest Slackware updates is by running rsync to syncronize your local repository and the main repository that hold the Slackware packages. Eric Hameleers has provided a great script called rsync_current.sh and how i modified this tool has been discussed on my previous post. In general, it works, except for one problem, when your computer is connecting to the Internet through a proxy.

My workstation at my office is connected to the Internet through a proxy, so i can't use normal rsync to work normally. I browsed the web and i found this site which tells us about how we should modify our squid configuration to allow rsync connection from any computer from our local networks. I asked my sysadmin to try this script. He agreed and he updated the squid configuration on the proxy.

Next, i need to update my environment variable RSYNC_PROXY to the host of the proxy and also the port. Let's say you are running a proxy on 192.168.1.1 and port 8080, then you need to run …

NVidia Legacy Unix Driver Update

NVidia has released an updated legacy drivers to support X.Org 1.19 with ABI 23. It has been mentioned in the UNIX drivers, but you can directly find the drivers from the links below:
NVidia 304.134 (x86x86_64)NVidia 340.101 (x86, x86_64) I have tested the 304.134 driver and it's working great here. I can finally remove x from my /etc/slackpkg/blacklist file since it's a showstopper for me.
Aside from legacy driver, NVidia has also released their latest driver 375.26 (x86, x86_64), which brings support for newer cards and also many new features (including X.Org 1.19 with ABI 23 support). 

Security Update: firefox, irssi, pidgin

Three security updates were released for today:
firefox: Upgraded to 45.4.0esr for 14.1 and 14.2 and 49.0 for currentirssi: Upgraded to 0.8.20pidgin: Upgraded to 2.10.11, 2.10.12, and 2.11.0 for all stable Slackware releases depending on their support Some minor update in current:
mkinitrd: Add dmsetup supportemacs: Upgraded to 25.1qt: Fix multilib issue network-scripts: Fix minor issue